Our main emphasis at the start is on fun, communication and developing of a love of languages.
Learning a language opens eyes and doors, enabling our pupils to enter the world as global citizens and confident communicators.
Language learning allows pupils to broaden their horizons, appreciate cultural diversity and deepen their understanding of the world. At KEVI NSG pupils can expect to develop their communication skills and linguistic abilities in a positive and engaging learning environment. The language learning journey is a fundamental part of our curriculum, which all pupils can access and enjoy.
At Key Stage 3 all pupils study French from Year 7. We aim to equip them with the building blocks they need to become successful language learners and prepare them for future study at GCSE. Our curriculum covers a range of topics whilst embedding the core linguistic skills of reading, listening, speaking, writing and translation, enabling them to develop as confident and capable communicators. As KS3 develops, so do our pupils and their ability to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers, both in speech and in writing.
The majority of our pupils go on to study GCSE French and appreciate the many benefits that future study can bring. At Key Stage 4 we follow the Edexcel GCSE French course over two years. We continue to build upon the foundation blocks mastered in KS3. Grammatical structures and high frequency vocabulary are revisited and developed to allow pupils to produce increasingly complex language with greater autonomy and expertise. We also continue to explore the French speaking world and celebrate it’s diversity. We believe that our lessons develop the breadth and depth of pupils’ linguistic skills, based on a sound foundation of core grammar and vocabulary. Our programme of study equips pupils to study and work outside of the UK in the future, embedding skills that are highly valued in the academic and professional world.
Throughout our curriculum pupils are exposed to and explore a wide variety of original French texts, and authentic material such as short stories, poetry, films and music. This enables the discovery and appreciation of great works in other cultures, providing another dimension to the language learning journey.
In collaboration with the History department, pupils are offered the opportunity to go to France and Belgium in the summer for a five day language and activity trip. Activities on offer have included visits to the battle fields, local historic places and markets providing pupils with the opportunity to show case their linguistic abilities outside of the classroom.
We work in close partnership with neighbouring schools to access different language events, theatre productions and competitions and have recently expanded our teaching network for greater collaboration with other KEVI Trust schools.
Our high-quality language teaching encourages pupils’ curiosity and our positive learning environment fosters a love of languages, producing passionate and able linguists who are keen to further their studies in languages.
French at KS4
GCSE French is offered to all pupils in KS4. We follow the Edexcel GCSE course which is 100% examination based (reading, listening, speaking and writing).
The Edexcel GCSE in French qualification requires pupils to:
- listen and respond to different types of spoken language
- communicate in speech for a variety of purposes
- read and respond to different types of written language
- communicate in writing for a variety of purposes
- use and understand a range of vocabulary and structures
- understand and apply the grammar of the language, as detailed in the specification.
Some of the themes that pupils may study include:
- Media and culture: music / film / reading / fashion / celebrities / religion / blogs / internet
- Sport and leisure: hobbies / interests / sporting events / lifestyle choices
- Travel and tourism: holidays / accommodation / eating / food / drink
- Business, work and employment: work experience / part-time jobs / product or service information
|Term||Year 10||Year 11|
Who am I?
Work / Future
|Spring||Le temps des loisirs |
Jours ordinaires, jours de fêtes
Routine and special occasions
|Un œil sur le monde|
|Summer||De la ville à la campagne|
Le grand large
Beyond Northfield School for Girls and Career Opportunities
A foreign language qualification is highly regarded by colleges and universities as so few pupils currently study a foreign language nationally. It is, for example, a shortage subject in teaching. It is useful in all sorts of business environments from banking to engineering.
- 76.8 million people have French as their first language, and it is spoken in 60 countries around the world.
- French and English are the only two global languages.
- French is the only language other than English spoken on five continents.
- France is the world’s largest manufacturer of television sets (HDTV was invented in France).
- France is the fourth largest producer of cars in the world.
- France is the European leader in aerospace.
- French, along with English, is the official working language of:- The United Nations, The International Olympic Committee, The International Red Cross, The Council of Europe, The European Court of Justice.